AMERICAN LEGION AUXILIARY
MONTHLY MEETING NOVEMBER 5, 2019
Meeting was called to order with the appropriate opening ceremony
Roll call of officers-All present
Special guest speaker:
Julia Chumlea-ALA Badger Girls State Delegates 2019
- Julia presented the highlights of her week at Badger Girls State
- She was a Federalist
- She was appointed a position on the Circuit Court
- She was nominated for Badger Girls National
- Will recommend to all girls beginning Juniors at the Cedarburg High School
Correction to the October 2019 minutes:
- Donation will be going to the VA Ladies Clothing Room for Bathrobes/Umbrella’s.
- Minutes were approved
Treasurer Report-Shirley Krier
Checking Account Balance:
Money Market Account Balance:
Poppy Funds Account Balance:
A check was deposited for the Fish Fry Split
Thank you notes were received from Jerry Wantry & Bob McPherson.
- President Maggie is not getting a response back regarding the cost of glass
- Mary Lewandowski will check with another company
- Mary Lewandowski will decorate the cabinet anyone wanting to display something should pass it to her
- We have a few cabinets available to use along with the office downstairs to hold all supplies & reports that are a part of unit 288
- Money has already been approved to purchase a new laptop and suggestion was made to purchase from Costco. No volunteers to pick one up.
- Motion was made to purchase a printer/scanner/laminator by Chris Sandoval, 2nd by Gail Andree-Kjell. All in favor, none opposed motion carried.
- Meeting in October at Unit 288 went well, many compliment
- We were asked to again hold one for next year.
Wine/Harvest Fest Parking
- Payment needs to me sent to Department for the Surgical Heart Pillow
- Teri West will pick up the Bath Robes/Umbrellas
- Chris Skidmore delivered the Check for Pets for Vets and they were very thankful
- Next car show is set for Saturday August 29, 2020
- Sue Handrick has about 11 names of deployed soldiers and a list of 3 different USO’s for the 60 boxes.
- Chris Skidmore collected money from the Washington County Human Services and will purchase additional items needed.
- Anyone attending lunch is asked to chip in for Pizza
High Ground in Neillsville WI:
- The High ground in Neillsville is a 155 acre manned Veterans Memorial Park that pays tribute to the fallen, and honors the survivors, their service, and their sacrifices
- Bridgette Kuhlenbeck will get more information on doing a group tour
Approximate Numbers-Report still needs to be completed
- Suggestion to increase cost of tickets next year to offset expenses
- Additional donations have been collected for Kentucky Derby baskets
eterans Day Luncheon:
- Subs have been ordered from Subway($88)
- Will also supply homemade brownies/cookies
- November 11th, 2019 at the post at 10:30
President Maggie has asked that all reports are turned in by November 15, 2019
- Information on purchasing bricks was passed around and will be discussed more after the 1st of the year.
- Nancy Wallock make a motion to donate $500 to suggested places from Department and $1,000 to the Poppy suggested places from Department. 2nd by Chris Sandoval, all in favor none opposed motion carried.
- Kris Gomez chose the following:
Poppy Fund Donation- Homeless Female Veteran Grant Fund
Veteran & Family Assistance Fund
Fischer House Milwaukee
Fischer House MN
General Fund Donations- Support Military Families
National Auxiliary Emergency Fund
$700.00 will be earmarked for 2 girls for Badger Girls State
Motion was made by Chris Skidmore & 2nd by Donna Kison to present the Legion with a gift to be given to the Post for Christmas. All in favor none opposed motion carried.
Carol Szudrowitz made a motion 2nd by Sandy Mack to donate to Family Sharing, Family Services & Advocates. All in favor, none opposed, motion carried.
Shirley Krier 2nd District VA&R chair has asked for a donation for her special project. Mary Lewandowski made a motion and 2nd by Chris Skidmore. All approved, none opposed motion carried. Shirley will purchase the items.
Grafton parade is November 30th @ 11:00 a.m. Denise made a motion for candy Sandy Mack 2nd, all in favor, none opposed motion carried. Denise will purchase the candy and be reimbursed
Veterans Christmas Party
- Post pays for the lunch prepared by the Auxiliary
- Sandy Mack motioned that dinner be catered, 2nd by Mary Jaeger, all in favor none opposed motion carried.
- Shirley Krier and Chris Sandoval will take care of the ordering/kitchen
- Cookies (approximately 3 dozen each) can be brought to the post the evening of December 7th (after 6pm) or the morning of December 8th from 9-11 a.m.
Unit Veteran Christmas Party
- Preference is Pot Luck-members are to contact either Maggie or Sandy what they will be bringing
- Date is 12/3/2019 replaces monthly meeting. Drinks will be offered from 5:00pm to approximately 5:45pm. Female vets should arrive around 6pm weather permitting.
- Teri, Amy, & Mary will work together to pick up towel sets and other items as gifts. Mary Lewandowski made a motion to spend and Gail Andree-Kjell 2nd to purchase gifts. All in favor, none opposed.
- Mary Jaeger will have blankets from her church, Donna Kison is making slippers and Gail is making hats.
- Total of possible 15 female vets will be attending
No other donations are being made at this time until a Unit Budget can be completed
Legion Birthday Party
- March 14, 2020
- Tabled until after the 1st of the year
Chaplain Mary Jaeger offered a closing prayer
Meeting was call adjourned by President Maggie Geiger
Pot of Gold Winner: Mary Jaeger
Submitted by: Sandy Mack ALA Unit 288 Secretary