THE AMERICAN LEGION PETER WOLLNER POST 288
Executive Board Meeting 24 April 2018
The meeting was called to order by Commander Bob Batty at 1900 hours followed by the appropriate opening ceremonies.
Roll call of officers was taken with 14 present and 2 absent.
Guests: Past Post Commander Alan Klug; post member Walt Raebel.
3rd Vice Jerry Smith – reported the next Memorial Day committee meeting is Thursday, April 26th starting at 7 p.m.
Finance Officer Rod Kison – reported registration has been sent in for delegates to the 2nd District Spring Conference in West Bend Post 36 on April 28th.
- Rod reported issuing two checks for Walk MS – Cedarburg….one for Team Jaeger and one for Team Herman.
- Rod reported issuing two checks for the Robert Armbruster Scholarship (Josh Wankowski) and the Lou Nichols Scholarship (Lorraine Tenpenny).
- Rod commented on the increasing cost of cleaning the kitchen after our monthly fish fry.
- Rod also received a bi-annual statement for cleaning the bar shelving area.
- All statements have been paid.
- There was a lengthy discussion on John Szudrowitz’ cleaning crew and the need for them to have a Certificate of Liability. After more discussion, there was a motion and second for 3 members of the executive board (including the Commander) to sit down with John Szudrowitz and work out a contract to spell out what the post wants done on a monthly basis and talks including getting a Certificate of Liability. The time frame for this to get done is within the next month. The motion was carried.
- Rod reported he will get an extension for tax form 990.
House Report Gene Szudrowitz – reported a missing piece of equipment – the post’s black projector. 3rd Vice Jerry Smith reported he had used it last fall and he might have it at home.
2nd Vice Robb Hanke asked the house chair about PCI DSS (the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard). This is an information security standard for organizations that handle credit cards.
Board Member Art Filter – reported that the Military Order of the Purple Heart will be shutting down their Service Office for doing VA claims as of June 30th.
Board Member Greg Jourdain – reported he had turned in monies to the building fund for the recent post gun raffle. Greg also reported that groundbreaking for our new addition will take place on Tuesday, May 1st starting at 9 a.m.
Adjutant Dennis Jaeger – reported that Dennis Loberger has fixed the problem at our post web site concerning the fish fry menu. THANK YOU Dennis!
Adjutant Dennis Jaeger – read an e-mail from Cedarburg Parks and Recreation Department asking the post what our plans are for the front Memorial flower beds. This e-mail was forwarded to the Auxiliary President, the Post Commander, and to post member Keith Collins.
The Adjutant read an e-mail from Mary Whittet, Administrative Assistant to the Principle at CHS who asked where she might buy graduation cords for seniors who are going into the military (our post provided these cords last year). Following discussion, there was a motion and second to approve monies to purchase these cords for graduating seniors who are going into the military with the monies to come from the general fund. The motion was carried. The Adjutant will follow up on this detail.
The Adjutant read an e-mail from Joe Gallagher, Deputy Director of IT, The American Legion (Indianapolis) stating that all posts in the Department of Wisconsin can now process their membership online.
Service Officer Ed Downey – informed all that during construction you can get in the building thru the back kitchen door using your current key…..but if you want to use the two doors that are available during construction, you have to get the key from Commander Batty.
- Ed announced that The Cedarburg Lions, The Greater Cedarburg Foundation, the Cedarburg/Grafton Rotary, the CFD, and Layton Olson are being invited to our groundbreaking on May 1st.
- Ed reported that an 18 foot POD will be rented for at least 3 months (to be placed at the edge of the asphalt in the area where trees were removed) in which the post will store chairs and tables and cleaning supplies during construction. The cost of this rental is will come from the building fund.
- Ed reported on an e-mail received from McKinley Place who would like to start up a veterans group to meet weekly. Ed suggested our coffee hour at Jim’s Grille. McKinley Place has a van and will transport and bring back veterans to this event.
- Post member Jim Bertram suggested the post place a new flag and poles and stands at Lasata and McKinley Place for when they meet in their dinning room. Following discussion, there was a motion and second for the post to purchase 2 flags, 2 poles, and 2 stands for Lasata and McKinley Place with monies to come from the veteran’s troop fund. The motion was carried.
Commander Batty announced after meeting with Auxiliary President Gail Kjell the post will host only two joint meetings a year. The post will host the April joint meeting and the Auxiliary will host the August joint meeting.
Their being no further business the meeting ended with the appropriate closing ceremonies and was adjourned at 2013 hours.
Peter Wollner Post 288
Ozaukee County Council
The Mighty 2nd District
Department of Wisconsin